Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW: I'VE NEVER BEEN (UN)HAPPIER

I'VE NEVER BEEN (UN)HAPPIER




AUTHOR: SHAHEEN BHATT

PUBLISHER: PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE

GENRE: BIOGRAPHY/AUTOBIOGRAPHY

PUBLICATION DATE: 10th October 2018

FORMAT: PAPERBACK

PAGES COUNT: 164

GOODREADS RATING: 4.02/5 (225 Ratings)

MY RATING: 4.5/5


BLURB (Taken from Amazon)
I don't write about my experiences with depression to defend the legitimacy of my pain. My pain is real; it does not come to me because of my lifestyle, and it is not taken away by my lifestyle.
Unwittingly known as Alia Bhatt's older sister, screenwriter and fame-child Shaheen Bhatt has been a powerhouse of quiet restraint-until recently. In a sweeping act of courage, she now invites you into her head.
Shaheen was diagnosed with depression at eighteen, after five years of already living with it. In this emotionally arresting memoir, she reveals both the daily experiences and big picture of one of the most debilitating and critically misinterpreted mental illnesses in the twenty-first century. Equal parts conundrum and enlightenment, Shaheen takes us through the personal pendulum of understanding and living with depression in her privileged circumstances. With honesty and a profound self-awareness, Shaheen lays claim to her sadness, while locating it in the universal fabric of the human condition.

In this multi-dimensional, philosophical tell-all, Shaheen acknowledges, accepts, and overcomes the peculiarities of living with depression. A topic of massive interest to anyone with mental health disorders, I've Never Been (Un)Happier stretches out its hand to gently provide solace and solidarity.

MY REVIEW

I've wanted to read 'I've never been (un)happier' from the day I saw it got published. So, I finally gave in to my desires and bought the book in 'Kolkata Book Fair' 2020. The book is about 160 pages and I didn't take more than three days to finish the book.

From the blurb stated above, you can understand that the book is a sort of autobiography where Shaheen takes the readers through her journey of 'Depression'. Now, what is depression? American Psychiatric Association defines depression as a 'common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think, and how you act.' Shaheen in her book has let out her pain, and her daily experiences of living with depression with utmost honesty. Only people who have gone through depression or have some knowledge about this topic will be able to relate these experiences.  

Each chapter in the book precedes her diary entries where she has bared out her emotions. She says that how for days she could not come out of her bedroom, how her family suffered because she was unable to explain to them the reasons for her isolation. Also, Shaheen does not shy away from telling how privileged she was to get easy access to the medical and social resources because of her family's lifestyle.

Depression is a very complex issue and it is very difficult to explain the feelings that one goes through while suffering from it. Shaheen says, " We wear I'm okay masks, so no one can see how we really feel or ascertain the things that hurt us; we don't show them who we really are, we isolate ourselves when we're in pain and then spend all our time wondering why no one gets us." 

The book sheds new light on depression and tells us how one should address this issue. After reading this book, I felt so overwhelmed. For the past six months, I've been feeling low because of some or other reasons. I used to think about how everyone is so happy but I feel low. Why am I not happy? But this book teaches you that it is okay if you are not happy all the time. As Mahesh Bhatt says to Shaheen during one of their conversations, "Take off the mask. You aren't happy? Fine, you aren't happy. One day you will be. And then you'll be sad again. Accept that and stop wasting your energy chasing something that doesn't exist. You can't spend your life feeling bad about feeling bad."

I won't recommend this book to readers of all ages. If you are someone who has suffered from mental issues or are suffering from it, then reading this book might help you to understand yourself. 


To buy a copy of the book, click on the link here 

For more bookish updates, follow me on  Instagram


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOOK REVIEW / RECOMMENDATION: IF I STAY

IF I STAY AUTHOR:  GAYLE FORMAN PUBLISHER:   DUTTON PENGUIN PUBLICATION DATE: 2009 GENRE:   YOUNG ADULT FICTION PAGES COUNT:   210 FORMAT:   PAPERBACK FOLLOWED BY:   WHERE SHE WENT     GOODREADS RATING:   4/5 MY RATING:   3.5/5 OVERVIEW:                                               A COLD FEBRUARY MORNING. . .                                        A SNOWY ROAD. . .           AND SUDDENLY ALL OF MIA'S CHOICES ARE GONE.                                   EXCEPT ONE.          AS ALONE AS SHE'LL EVER BE, MIA MUST          MAKE THE DIFFICULT CHOICE OF ALL. PLOT:                                  After my 2nd year exams got over, I was in a dilemma which book should I start next as because, before my exams i was reading all the fantasy fiction books such as "The Hunger Games", "Trylle Trilogy", "Harry Potter" and etc. So one of my friend suggested me that I should read this book a

BOOK REVIEW / RECOMMENDATION: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER AUTHOR: STEPHEN CHBOSKY GENRE: YOUNG ADULT FICTION, EPISTOLARY NOVEL PUBLISHER: MTV BOOKS (MOVIE COVER VERSION) PUBLICATION DATE: FEBRUARY 1, 1999 FORMAT: PAPERBACK PAGES COUNT: 213 GOODREADS RATING: 4.2/5 MY RATING: 5/5   'The perks of being a wallflower is a story about what it's like to travel that strange course through the uncharted territory of high school, the world of first dates, family dramas, and new friends. of sex, drugs, and the rocky horror picture show. of those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.' PLOT:              The novel starts with Charlie, a 15 year old boy writing letters to an anonymous person who he thinks is going to understand and listen to him and will not judge him. He says, "So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."               Charlie, a high schoo

BOOK REVIEW: 8 HOURS

8 HOURS                                       AUTHOR: UPENDRA NAMBURI PUBLISHER: WESTLAND PUBLISHERS GENRE: THRILLER, SUSPENSE PUBLICATION DATE: 21st OCTOBER, 2017 FORMAT: PAPERBACK PAGES COUNT: 283 GOODREADS RATING: 3.82/5 MY RATING: 2.5/5 I don't want to reveal much about the plot line, and so I am stating the blurb of the book below as given in Goodreads. BLURB: Aratrika Reddy, the charismatic CEO of ARYA Holdings Ltd, has just 8 hours to save her company from certain bankruptcy. The multi-billion dollar hotels to steel conglomerate, founded by her mercurial father, liquor baron Madhusudhan Reddy, has many suitors, all of them plotting a hostile takeover. Aratrika's estranged husband, Siddhartha is one of them. His inside knowledge is the real ace up his sleeve. The Rathores, the Reddy's arch-rivals are looking to buy ARYA too and thereby settle old scores. Aratrika has to weave her way through a litany of lawyers, politic